Thursday, March 6, 2014

Science Friday Quilt


"Science Friday" quilt is sampler
of edge to edge free-style machine quilting I offer.

As a portrait and still life painter for many years, 
I call upon drawing skills to illustrate quilts.


An ample queen size quilt.  
Colorful fabrics of yellow, lime green, black, gray, and ivory


Displayed on Sleigh Bed
in the East Bedroom
at our old Victorian



Don't ya love sleigh beds?
If you come stay at the old Victorian
you'll sleep under some fabulous quilts!

I make lots and lots of fancy pillow cases
and sell them at shows.




The border work--
I call this design green beans and cherry tomatoes

Ruler work to divide and conquer,
free-style quilting to make it shout.

What goes on in a person's mind
when they are so wrapped up in the moment
of free style quilting?
Ah.....
For me, it's like driving a car to a familiar place,
and suddenly realizing I arrived,
but don't remember all the details of getting there.

I know, I am deeply relaxed when free style quilting,
so I honestly cannot tell you how some of these
images form.  They just happen.
Ruler work of course requires more planning,
less zen trance like state of mind.
With ruler work - I like repeating images.





Finishing the free style work,
and rolling the quilt off of the frame.

I bought the yellow fabric without pause,
inspired by the architecture symbols.

Combination of ruler work and free style





Adding a repeating design of three leaves,
interrupted by small meander

Curved Ruler Work


During the process of quilting, I stopped to take photos.
It took a full week--long days in the studio
to free style quilt "Science Friday"



While I quilt, I make reference marks
with long stem pins indicating where I left off
stitching in the ditch around blocks, sashing, border.
Below:
The black print fabric features slices of 
lime green peace symbols.


I've used this same black fabric many times
in large totes and purses.



I will be very sad when I've used up the last bit
of this black and green fabric.  
Originally, I bought two bolts of it.

Hmmmmm, how many totes
can I make out of two full bolts of fabric????
Answer: Lots, and lots, and lots.
They always sell out fast at shows.

****

Ok, ok, getting back to the Science Friday quilt . . . 


Photo of first day--quilting on Science Friday quilt.

Below--gives you an idea how I pieced dozens of blocks
to create the quilt.

The blocks were created using a
special triangle ruler called, 
STRIP TUBE RULER

To see how this amazing ruler works,
and how you can make these blocks too!







Sewing blocks together




Science Friday Quilt - A Modern, Queen/King
Price: $325

See you at Strawberry Fest
downtown Waupaca, WI
Saturday, June 21




No comments:

Post a Comment